Monday, September 16, 2013

It's a Boulder, Not a Bullet

You just spent all week studying for a test that you absolutely cannot fail.  The test comes around, and you realize you were studying all of the wrong material.  You freeze as your mind blanks out.  You can't remember a thing.  You just posted on your Facebook that you're going to rock this test out of the world.  You get a 58% after losing several precious hours of sleep the week before to study.  You fall behind for the rest of the semester, you barely pass the class.  You feel miserable.  This class was the foundation to your major. We all have something that we have to carry around with us.  It's different for every person, but it's all similar at the same time.   Maybe you suffer from depression or anxiety.  Maybe you have a hard time keeping your mood under control. Maybe it's a learning disability. Or perhaps, you have an illness you always have to deal with.  It slows you down.  That's my weakness.  Ever since I was 14, I have been going into doctors, being prodded by needles for blood-work and hooked up to machines for various other scanning, while trying to find out what has been giving me problems.  At the age of 17 on September 19, 2012 after spending a very miserable night in the ER, the doctors finally came to a conclusion: Fibromyalgia.  It's a chronic illness that affects my body and the way my nerves communicate with my brain. I am almost always in pain of some sort, and on top of that, my immune system is weakened as well.  I get nauseous very easily and I get frequent migraines.  Some days, I can't even move without feeling severe pain.  Even a slight breeze can seem painful.  Some days, I don't even want to wear clothes, because it seems like it's too much weight for my body to bear.
It's challenging.  It slows me down, but it doesn't stop me.  I always find my motivation to move forward.  What about you?  What keeps you moving forward?  What is that drive in your life?
I have several things that keep me forward.  One, for instance, as common as this answer is, there's a reason for it.   My Father in Heaven. "When God is your reason to live, you'll never have a reason to quit."  My second reason is my family.  I want to keep my parents proud and I want to set a good example to my three younger siblings.  They mean the world to me, and one day, when they are older and living on their own, I want to see them strong and successful.

I've come to learn in the past while we may all have something that slows us down or puts a damper on our life, we all can move forward.  Think back to a trial you had perhaps a few years back.  You're here now, right?  It was indeed miserable, and you may still be suffering.  But it's added character, no?  I believe and know that God will never give a person more than what they can handle in life, no matter how hard it may seem at the time.  Everything has a purpose.  So do you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment